A NEW plaque with the names of 32 people who had previously gone unrecognised for giving their lives in the First World War and Second World War will be fixed to Wellington War Memorial within the next few weeks.

The news comes following intensive research by historians Ray Hitchcock and Mike Perry during their work on three books entitled Our Boys, Our Boys and a Girl, and Our Other Boys.

Members of Wellington Town Council’s finance committee heard that the plaque will be fixed to the memorial in Wellington Park in plenty of time for Armed Forces Day on Saturday, June 30.

Town clerk Greg Dyke told councillors the news after highlighting that £2,800 had been paid to Stonehenge Masonry as part payment toward the war memorial plaque.

Mr Dyke later told the WWN: “I hope to have the plaque in place by Armed Forces Day but definitely by Remembrance Sunday in November when it will be blessed as part of the annual Remembrance Day services in Wellington Park.”

The names to be added are: First World War – A. Baker; F. Bennett; C.S. Blackmore; A. Burrows; E. Burston; R.J. Cole; H.W. Coram; E.F. Corner; E.A. Darch; F.G. Davey; J. Davis; W.J.T. Fouracre; A.T. Gooding; F. Gooding; F. Gould; A. Grabham; F. Hill; A. Hine; J.T. Jones; L.I. Kemshead; R.E. Lowman; W.B. Manley; F. Mutters; F. Pavey; W.F.G. Perham; S. G. H. Purnell; D. Smart; H. Stephens; J.N. Treble; C.R. Waygood; M. Webber; J. F. Whitmore.

Second World War – W.L. Ashplant; R. Blackmore; J.A. Dunsford; E.J. Durston; J.G. Griffiths; P.W. Hattersley; R.M. Holloway; A.V. Marsh; E.C. Martin; R.E. Robinson; R.G. Twose.

The town council was first made aware of the missing names when it was brought to its attention two years ago by the local historians.