A digger and trailer have been stolen and the tyres of nearby vehicles slashed in an early morning raid.

Belonging to Jack Jordan, of Jordan Groundworks, the mini digger and trailer were stolen from his property on Ford Street, Wellington, at about 3.30am on Sunday morning (March 30).

The police investigation into the theft is ongoing.

Mr Jordan said: “The ordeal has been devastating for our family.

“The loss of the digger has meant that unfortunately we have lost some work whilst we source a new one.

“We had also been planning to take on a local lad and buying further machinery for the business but these plans are now under review.

“It was also incredibly traumatic for my mother-in-law who saw the burglary in process and attempted to stop them.

“All in all, it has been very difficult for my family, as well as disheartening when you are trying to build a small business and someone rips it away from you in the night.”

He continued: “The response from the community has been great so far. We would like to thank TLC garage services LTD who came out and replaced our tyres on the Sunday afternoon so we could get going again, and the police for a quick response.”

In a statement, Avon and Somerset Police said: “We were called at 3.39am on Sunday 30 March to a report that a mini digger had been stolen in Ford Street, near Wellington and that three nearby vehicles had also had their tyres damaged.

“Officers arrived within 15 minutes of the call being made and carried out initial investigative enquiries. Work to locate the vehicle continues.

“If you have any information or any footage which could help our investigation, please call 101 and give the call handler the reference number 5225090973.”